In our Tracking Basics article, we explained what is Offer Conversion Tracking and what Attribution Methods the Scaleo platform supports. This guide will walk you deeper through the Cookies-Based Conversion Tracking method.
In this article
How Does It Work?
In terms of the web, the client-side refers to everything that is displayed or takes place on the end-user device. It includes the user interface (what the user can see) and any hidden elements as well as any actions performed in the user's browser.
Cookie-based tracking is performed via a tracking pixel. This is a 1×1 pixel size HTML container that includes an offer’s conversion link. It is usually added to the page source before the
The tracking pixel is loaded when a user visits a website or opens an email. When a user loads the pixel, it checks for a session ID in the user’s browser cookie and records a conversion for that session. Like postback conversion tracking, it is used to track users’ behavior and conversions.
Types of Tracking Pixels
- IFRAME Pixel. This is an HTML block with the IFRAME element — a piece of code with the built-in link to the target page. You can place it everywhere on your page without breaking the page layout. IFRAME Pixel is the preferable method for client-side (cookie-based) tracking as they fully support all Scaleo tracking features.
- IMG Pixel. This is an image of a 1x1 pixel size with the built-in link to the target page. Please use this method only if you cannot place the iFrame pixel from an Advertiser. It has some restrictions: affiliate third-party tracking is not fully supported; third-party cookie-based tracking is not available.
Note: The Scaleo platform only displays the information that was directly transmitted through the tracking parameters in the pixel itself: Click ID, Track ID, Order Amount etc. When the pixel is fired, no additional information, user data or other data is collected.
- Create a new Offer and add basic data, your Advertiser, Landing Page URL, Goal, and other additional information.
- To get the Cookie-Based Pixel URL, open the Offer page > go to the Goals section > Postback.
- Send your Cookie-Based Pixel URL to the Advertiser or add it to your website layout.
- To get accurate statistics, please place the pixel at the top of the page. The best option is to place the tracking pixel after the
<head>tag if it doesn't break the layout.