Cookies Based Conversion Tracking
In our Tracking Basics article, we explained what is Offer Conversion Tracking and what Attribution Methods the Scaleo platform supports. This guide will walk you deeper through the Cookies-Based Conversion Tracking method.
In this article
How Does It Work?
In terms of the web, the client-side refers to everything that is displayed or takes place on the end-user device. It includes the user interface (what the user can see) and any hidden elements as well as any actions performed in the user's browser.
Cookie-based tracking is performed via a tracking pixel. This is a 1×1 pixel size HTML container that includes an offer’s conversion link. It is usually added to the page source before the
The tracking pixel is loaded when a user visits a website or opens an email. When a user loads the pixel, it checks for a session ID in the user’s browser cookie and records a conversion for that session. Like postback conversion tracking, it is used to track users’ behavior and conversions.
Types of Tracking Pixels
- IFRAME Pixel. This is an HTML block with the IFRAME element — a piece of code with the built-in link to the target page. You can place it everywhere on your page without breaking the page layout. IFRAME Pixel is the preferable method for client-side (cookie-based) tracking as they fully support all Scaleo tracking features.
- IMG Pixel. This is an image of a 1x1 pixel size with the built-in link to the target page. Please use this method only if you cannot place the iFrame pixel from an Advertiser. It has some restrictions: affiliate third-party tracking is not fully supported; third-party cookie-based tracking is not available.
Note: The Scaleo platform only displays the information that was directly transmitted through the tracking parameters in the pixel itself: Click ID, Track ID, Order Amount etc. When the pixel is fired, no additional information, user data or other data is collected.
- Create a new Offer and add basic data, your Advertiser, Landing Page URL, Goal, and other additional information.
- To get the Cookie-Based Pixel URL, open the Offer page > go to the Goals section > Postback.
- Send your Cookie-Based Pixel URL to the Advertiser or add it to your website layout.
- To get accurate statistics, please place the pixel at the top of the page. The best option is to place the tracking pixel after the
<head>tag if it doesn't break the layout.